Hi! How was your Tuesday? We have some major snow coming down right now in Michigan- supposedly 6-8 inches by tomorrow morning?! All you teachers out there know what that means! ::fingers crossed::
On Sunday night, we couldn’t decide what we wanted for dinner. I was staring in the pantry when John said,
“We have baked beans.”
Say no more, Johnny! I love baked beans, and could eat them every meal. 🙂
My mom told me about these tostadas awhile back, she found the recipe in a magazine, and I figured they’d be great! I didn’t have the recipe, but here’s what I came up with.
Baked Bean Tostadas
1 15 oz can baked beans or 2 cups homemade baked beans
1 head of garlic, minced
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
squirt of lime juice
6 corn tortillas
1. Heat 2 tbs olive oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat.
2. Add garlic, and saute for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant.
3. Add onions, and continue to cook for 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
4. Add in the baked beans, mix.
5. Mash the bean mixutre with a potato masher, or whatever you have on hand.
6. Set your oven to 375
7. With a pastry brush, lightly brush your tortillas with olive oil on both sides. Place tortillas in the oven on a pan for 6-8 minutes, until crisp.
I also made a little bit of guacamole with the only avocado we had one hand.
Topped with some diced lettuce, and served next to some Mexican Millet from Veganomicon, this was a delicious impromptu meal!
Have a great night, and stay warm and safe if it’s snowing where you are!